61 and 62 Lincoln’s Inn Fields

← Back to the Portfolio

The original house on the site of Nos. 61 and 62 was erected in 1639 or 1640, for it is referred to in a deed of 16th March, 1639, as a messuage “intended shortly to be erected and is nowe erecting,” The owner was Raphael Tartarean, carver to Queen Henrietta, he having apparently obtained a 45 years’ lease of the ground. On the outbreak of the Civil War Tartarean accompanied the queen to Holland, leaving the house “not fully finished.”

  • Filed under: Architectural projects, Interiors